Thursday, May 28, 2015

The Accurate Story Behind the Star Spangled Banner








When looking at these pictures of rustic, success, the Messiah or conspiracy the one true one that stands out to me is the wisdom of rustic.  Perhaps it’s me wanting to relive years when things didn’t seem so complicated.  Years when all I had to do after the football game was go to dance clubs with my friends.  Riding my bike up and down the Pacific Coast Highway in California.  Whatever it is my kids have a way of making me feel old.

It shouldn’t be a big thing listening to the radio and the kids hearing a song that I think is great and them laughing at me because it’s so old.  Um wait a minute kids this is from the 80’s, as I exclaim.  But the reality is that we forget about the past and where we come from.  More importantly what had to have happened in the past for us to be here today.

This country that we live in is a great country.  Sure like most things it has its downfalls and issues.  But for the most part it is a land of freedom and opportunity.  The biggest problem with this country is us.  We forget what it means to be free.  Free from tyranny, free from oppression, free of a dictatorship where you are told when and what you can do.  Some of you may say well that was then, this is the 21st century and that stuff doesn’t go on anymore.

The truth is, it does.  Every day it happens to people all of the World.  The reason why we don’t see it is because of those that have fallen before us.  The great men and women that have fought for us to have earned these freedoms.  The speech I have hear is one that allows us to remember the valor and love that the pioneers of this great country had.

By remembering this we gain as the pastor Dudley Rutherford that is presenting this a sense of pride.  A stance that says I can be a part of something as equal to that by remembering these fallen founders.  Not by spitting on their graves with conflict and destruction within.  For that is the main reason why we have issue in this country and that is that we no longer support each other.  Everyone is out for themselves. 

In this speech you will see firsthand the process premise.  I know I am guilty of not paying attention during the national anthem.  I am guilty of not knowing the story behind the star spangled banner.  But like me I can guarantee that you will be filled with pride in knowing that just like the pioneers of this great country.  That we have had several men and women die for her.  Men that have been in P.O.W. camps for years that stood and took torture because of a code.  A code that characterizes these men to allow themselves to be beaten until they would bend but not break.  To know that they had in some camps 300 plus soldiers that would be willing to be tortured for their friend.  Can we say that today or would we roll over at the first chance possible.

My fear is that this video does not stir you up to action.  For that matter does not stir anything up inside of you.  My hope is that within this you will feel as I did not just a sense of pride but happiness and joy for knowing that someone was brave enough to stand as George Washington did and say “We will die on our feet before we live on our knees”.  Powerful stuff is in this video and it helps us to remember our past with a renewed effort to accomplish whatever we want to in life.  All because someone else showed us how to do it.  When the going gets hard, re-watch this video or many other videos of triumphant valor.  Our history is not just our past but can also be our future.



3 comments:

  1. I love your post. Not many know of the story behind the meaning of the Star Spangled Banner. My father, stepfather, myself have served and my oldest son is currently serving in the army. My 11 year old wants to be A Marine . So this really hits home for me . As I was watching this video my 11year sat right next to me and watched it with me. So thank you for this awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a story I had only heard part of before. It is an awakening to times past, and serves as a great reminder to the sacrifices that were made to bring us the freedoms that we as Americans enjoy. It is important to show reverence and to teach children a respect for the Flag and our National Anthem. If people are stirred by guilt then that's as good of a reminder as any. It has worked for mothers for generations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for you post, Ray! It was an awesome reminder of this great story. He told it very well. I had a young lady at stake girls camp one year who's husband was serving in Iraq. She took a minute at the morning flag raising ceremony to share her feelings of respect for our flag and for the men and women who were serving in the armed forces. It was very touching and gave those young girls a new sense of pride in the flag. Good stuff for us all to hear and remember.

    ReplyDelete